Saturday 5 November 2016

Lip Conditioning: Working Hard for that Lipstick


Lip prep isn't something I care too much for aside from regular day-to-day maintenance. Lipsticks should work for me and not the other way around. But when lips are constantly looking cracked even under the best of lipstick formulas, then I'm sorry but "Its not you, its me." The latest Dior Holiday Diorific shade Charm* ($46CDN) (perhaps finally a peach shade I can get behind when all others have washed me out) made me realize this and I had to break out the big guns which promised overnight lip conditioning results.





By big guns, I mean two lip staples of many a bedside table, Nuxe and Dior. I've been dipping into my Nuxe Reve de Miel Ultra Nourishing LipBalm* ($17CDN, 15ml) for a few months now. Its mat finish is unique but my lips feel too coated in this thick almost softened beexwax feeling formula. I haven't been blown away and I wonder if too thick an application (which can't always be avoided) alongside cooling external temperatures isn't disallowing the balm from penetrating my lips. Or has my dry lip layer gotten so bad that all the moisture protection in the world is no longer adequate?

My second chance at overnight lip redemption is with the Dior Creme de Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm* ($36CDN, 7.5g). As a polar opposite, this balm produces a thin, near gel, texture when warmed and placed on the lips. It promises up to 32% visibly hydrated lips after 6 hours from application. What's more, the formula has SPF 10. Texturally, I'm preferring Dior and its much easier to get a thin application. I feel its silly to say outright and so soon but I can feel my lips getting softer when I apply it.

I'm feeling good things from the Creme de Rose formula but if worse comes to worse and both fail, I'll be left with the only option of chugging water more consistently and learning to exfoliate my lips more often. Seeing as how the oils from a Lush Lip Scrub I got 2 Christmases ago have completely dried up, you can only imagine how successful that tactic will be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment