Wednesday 4 June 2014

FOTD #6: 'Cause Sometimes a Little Gyaru is OK

gyaru makeup look fotd

 Yes I realized, I'm a full grown woman. BUT sometimes I just want to do the Japanese Gyaru makeup-trend thing and look like a cutesy china doll (please ignore potentially offensive cultural appropriation references.) For shame.
gyaru makeup look fotd

When I think of the Gyaru look, the most defining characteristics are generally minimal eye makeup, (but sky high lashes), blush placement, mlbb or nude lips and the use of cooler tones. 

Eyes:
Kanebo Kate Real Create Eyes Eyeshadow palette - BR1
Lancome Cil Booster XL lash primer
Clinique bottom lash mascara
Lancome Hypnose Star mascara
Make Up For Ever Eyebrow Pencil - 4
Urban Decay Liner - Zero

Lips:
Lancome Lipstick - Pale Lip

Face:
Becca Mattifying Primer
Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer - 7
some foundation sample which I forgot the name of
Buxom True Hue Blush - Breathless
Stila Custom Color Blush - Sheer Pink

gyaru makeup look fotd

For this look, blush placement is key. Instead of putting blush on the apples of your cheeks, sweep blush under the eyes and slightly towards the temple. This gives a youthful doll look. I mainly used Stila's Custom Color in Sheer Pink but dusted some of the light coral from Buxom's Breathless slightly above the Stila to make the look more flushed.

I also went with a more traditional Japanese formulation of shadow. In other words, sheer and neutral but uber glitter.

gyaru makeup look fotd

gyaru makeup look fotd

 Here's my attempt at one of those asiany poses. Don't judge.


Even though I feel like I should move beyond this look to something more age appropriate, the cuteness factor still draws me in sometimes. Don't know why. I just hope I'm not one of those people that won't move on about the fact that they're actually 40 (or something) and still wear things they wore when they were 20.

Only time will tell.

Would you wear a look like this? What are some of the things you are having a hard time letting go as far as age goes?

Follow me on:

0 comments:

Post a Comment